Monday, July 20, 2015

Sunbonnet Sue

First of all, I didn't make the Sunbonnet Sue blocks. They were orphan blocks given to me by our leader to finish into a quilt. One block was sandwiched and machine quilted with the yellow fabric facing the wrong way. So now I understand why she quit. We all have UFOs that we considered failures and set them aside.


 
It didn't take long to remove the quilting and batting until I noticed she had partially embroidered through the batting. Haven't figured that out. Anyway, I was able to selvedge the yellow backing fabric to make two more blocks using some of my stash. The two blocks were finished as far as the flower fabric. I used a woven fabric for the border mainly for its color. We pillowcase all of our children's quilts and the woven just doesn't want to lay flat. Perhaps I'll do some free-motion on it.



It's no big deal as a quilt but I am patting myself on the back for using the blocks. The only quilting I did was outline Sue and straight line quilting in the ditch and across the nine-patch blocks. We always do minimum quilting. The color balance isn't the best but it's a great philanthropy quilt.



The dark blue in the framed nine-patches is flannel and matched up with hers pretty well.

Right now I am working on some nine patch blocks for another quilt. Great summertime projects.

Marcy

2 comments:

  1. It really turned out cute! Yellow and blue is my favorite combo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sweet quilt. Thanks for sharing it with us.
    We won't talk about my UFO. It just keeps growing

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.