If you ever want a fun quilt and like bright colors, this one is for you. It's a great escape into your batiks and playing with color. For that very reason, I've been cutting as I go rather than precut all the fabric suggested in the pattern. I did not buy the fabric suggested since it'll be mostly stash. There's a picture and link to the free pattern from Hoffman Fabrics in my post (HERE ). It looks like the fabric from the Winter Olympics in Sochi. Here are some of the rows.
These are simple templates to work with since you can cut a strip and then sub cut into pieces. Working row by row gives me an opportunity to select the very spot on the batik fabric where the template should be placed. Since it is batik and not much fraying, it doesn't seem to make a difference of the direction I cut either.
Using sugar free jello I made a batch the other day and added some canned crushed pineapple to the shredded carrots. I can't remember if that was an option in the 60s. If you didn't live in the Midwest in the 60s, you probably think I am nuts. This jello became a regular on the dinner table, along with Kraft Macaroni and Cheese and tuna casserole. Another pantry item was Spam.
So what yummy, no-nutrition dish do you remember from back then?
Marcy
Great looking quilt Marcy. I love those colors. That bowl of Jello looks like little goldfish swimming in algae!!! LOL!!! I remember eating Jello sometimes, but mom never bought boxed mac and cheese and I think only Spam once. She did stock up on frozen TV dinners when they were on sale because we had a chest freezer in the garage. I think she bought them on sale for like 25 cents!! We only ate them when my dad wouldn't be home for dinner because he had meetings. That way mom didn't have to cook.
ReplyDeleteVeggies in jello...hmmmmm.... lol!! No nutrition dish would be ice-cream for dinner!!! But when I was young I can remember when my mom and dad use to go out, we kids got hot dogs and mac and cheese!!! It was fun!
ReplyDelete