Thursday, November 7, 2013

For The Boys

Do you remember going to camp?  Or perhaps you recall putting your kids on the bus to go to camp. Whether a week or just a day, those days at camp were memorable. Camp fires were built, hot dogs and marshmallows roasted on a stick and camp songs around the fire. Great times for all.

It is difficult to come up with a project for boys without thinking of camp. Here's my camp quilt to use as a table topper.


Then by decreasing the size of the templates and using the leftover scraps, I made placemats.

Do you remember who wore the famous coonskin hat below? If you are as old as me you might remember Davy Crockett and this song.

Born on a mountain top in Tennessee
Greenest state in the land of the free
Raised in the woods so he knew ev'ry tree
Kilt him a b'ar when he was only three
Davy, Davy Crockett, king of the wild frontier!


The backing looks like script writing.  Nothing fancy but it reminded me of the camp letters received from the young campers. Maybe a good title for the quilt would be "Letters From Camp."


Thanks to Amy from Sew Incredibly Crazy for managing this great-themed hop and to  Madame Samm from Sew We Quilt for her continued support to us who play with fabric.

Here is today's list of blogs to check out--you will be so inspired!

November 8th

56 comments:

  1. That is so cute! Camp and boys go hand in hand. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great projects and, yes, I remember that song lol!!! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfect colours for a boy quilt and a great idea to reduce the size and make placemats to match.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My grandones love camp. The quilt is perfect...making friends at camp was always fund. I remember that song too. Thanks for inspiring us today. Happy stitching, Pauline

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is just fabulous! Letters from Camp is a perfect name and I can just relate to it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful quilt and placemats. I love the name Letters from Camp. It's perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Super creations. Just perfect. Love the coonskin cap. Seems my brother had one and loved singing that song (I unfortunately am too young to remember) but apparently he just loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great projects - thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful guilt and agreat theme too. Did you know there is a truck stop on west TN that plays that song and tells his story all day long?

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great quilt and place mats!! You know when I looked at the first photo I thought there was a cat on the table LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Now we are talking allllll BOY…this is amazing…now I have to chuckle when I saw the hat, I thought it was a cat. lol…that was before my first coffee ….I see it now..David Crockett….I remember that...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I thought like our Madame...a cat!! But then, I thought back to when our middle son had one of those thingys way back there...lol Love your projects!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very cute! I love the script fabric on the back.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful job on all! I love the colour scheme you chose. And that text print for the backing is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your camp quilt and placemats are really special! I love the colors you used. Congrats on being tops today!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is a very clever and unique idea! bet you make top 2! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. These are so cute..I love the way they look like they are dancing/skipping!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love your Camp quilt. What a great way to use it too!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great idea--super job on this cute, cute project!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a great idea you had ! The fabrics you used make it even more "manly" ! lol

    ReplyDelete
  21. I like your table topper and placemats. Oh yes I remember that Davy Crockett song and the Disney show of Davy Crockett. (and Daniel Boone too) I had an old 45 record with that very song on it when I was a little kid, lol!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I really love these. Totally for the men in my life. The fabrics and the design you used are perfect. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Cute! And yep, I remember the Davy Crockett song and I swear I'm not that old!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wonderful camp quilt and table mats! I remember the Davy Crockett show with Fes Parker??!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love it!!! So cute, thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a cool idea - I really love those simplified guys.

    ReplyDelete
  27. ah, we have one of those davy crockett hats as well--the kids have now just ripped the tail off, and it needs to be sewn together, bit by bit again..... :p Such a fun table topper and place mats!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Very nice love the placemats, thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  29. Great table topper and placemats. I will be thinking of you all day since that tune is now stuck in my head. Thanks for sharing is so many ways.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I think Davy Crocket - not that I'm that old! lol Great idea for the camp theme and I love the plaids patchwork you used. Those placemats are super cute.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Letters from Camp is very clever "For the Boys". Your quilt and placemats are uber cute. Thanks for hopping. Creative Stitching Bliss...

    ReplyDelete
  32. Great and creative project. I only remember the last line of Davy Crocket, king of the wild frontier. Your colors are so perfect and the backing is the perfect choice.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Davy Crockett, wow what a blast from the past...lol Love it.
    Great job on the tablemats as well.
    cheers
    maggie

    maggiemine42@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  34. Love those camp inspired items. And the Davy Crockett hat - wow. My husband would love that. He bought two armadillo hats for my oldest girls many years ago; sort of like your hat, but with the head of an armadillo (not real, btw) at the front!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Love your Letters from Camp! Great job! now I want to sit around the campfire!

    ReplyDelete
  36. What kid wouldn't want his own placemat. These are really cool.

    ReplyDelete
  37. These are just wonderful. Thanks for sharing your creations with us today!

    ReplyDelete
  38. A terrific choice for your blog hop entry. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  39. I think you nailed it! Excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Love your Letters from Camp table topper and place mats to match!

    ReplyDelete
  41. I remember Davy Crockett and my sun bought one of those coon hats when we were a Disney World. I love all of your projects and I remember sending him off to camp. Thanks for sharing it brought back many memories

    ReplyDelete
  42. Great project! How fun!
    The name is just perfect too!

    What technique did you use for the people? Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  43. What a nice project.And yes, I remember the song and remember watching the show! Black and White, of course!
    Thanks for the memory.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Great projects! Oh what wonderful camp memories I have!!

    ReplyDelete
  45. Makes me want to go camping! Baa. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  46. I loved watching Davy Crockett...I'll be singing that song all day now! LOL Great design for your table topper and placemats!

    ReplyDelete
  47. I am so inspired, these turned out wonderful. crystalbluern at onlineok dot com

    ReplyDelete
  48. Great job! Thanks for sharing! Davy Crockett is remembered in Texas for being among the defenders at the 1836 Battle of the Alamo.

    ReplyDelete
  49. Fantastic idea, very well done!
    thanks for sharing and beeing part of this hop.

    ReplyDelete
  50. I love it! And now I can't get that song out of my head!

    ReplyDelete
  51. So creative! How fun to have placemats as well as the cute quilt. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  52. That's a great name for the quilt! I love what you did. I presume you made the patterns for the guys. Thanks for stopping by my blog hop post, too.

    ReplyDelete
  53. OMG These are stinking cute!! My brother's use to run around in their Davy hat all the time!!!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.