A part of quilting is giving and sharing. That's why I sew with my local Quilts of Valor. Ours is not a large group but a very active and productive troop of 25+ quilters. The leader provides a different pattern and fabric each time they meet. They piece and piece the hours together. Kits of blocks are assembled and finished at home. Last year this group made well over 150 adult sized quilts of various patterns
So what is my part? Because of an immune problem, I am unable to meet in large groups but I do work a home. My part is making this center block from Marianne Fons' pattern for Quilts of Valor.
Depending on fabric and pattern, the group finish this quilt to look like this:
Now I want to share with you a recent news item. An Army Ranger was presented the Purple Heart award while he was unconscious attached to more wires than carried by the space shuttle. He was covered with a patriotic quilt. While they thought he was unconscious, he raised his arm to salute his commander during the presentation. The doctors were amazed. One doctor was at his side and when he saw his arm raise and helped him.
This scene went viral on the internet and then a Quilts of Valor recognized the quilt draping his body. It was one they made.
Orlando Sentinel
NBC Nightly News did a piece on these busy ladies last week and you can view it here.
NBC Nightly News
So what is my part? Because of an immune problem, I am unable to meet in large groups but I do work a home. My part is making this center block from Marianne Fons' pattern for Quilts of Valor.
Depending on fabric and pattern, the group finish this quilt to look like this:
Now I want to share with you a recent news item. An Army Ranger was presented the Purple Heart award while he was unconscious attached to more wires than carried by the space shuttle. He was covered with a patriotic quilt. While they thought he was unconscious, he raised his arm to salute his commander during the presentation. The doctors were amazed. One doctor was at his side and when he saw his arm raise and helped him.
This scene went viral on the internet and then a Quilts of Valor recognized the quilt draping his body. It was one they made.
Orlando Sentinel
NBC Nightly News
Beautiful work! Thank you for doing such a great deed for our service men and women. :)
ReplyDeleteThanks to you and your Quilts of Valor group for your efforts ... <3
ReplyDeleteThank you for posting the archive link -- I had not heard this story before and it was very touching. And thank you and your group for helping keep the spirit of giving alive!
ReplyDeleteThis is an amazing quilt!! I"m so glad you've linked it under our charity theme as it's very inspiring!!! THANK YOU for sharing!
ReplyDelete