Do you ever say "when it's done, it's done"? I like the look of trapunto and doing it by machine is a neat process. However, it is doing free motion twice. By the time I got the outlining completed, I was so tired of it I didn't do any fill quilting in the light areas. On went the binding, amen.
Since the bougenvilla is still blooming, I had to get a picture with it even though the colors don't compliment.
If you've not done machine trapunto, here is the short story. This quilt is comprised of many panel parts and additional fabric. What parts are panel in this quilt? The four middle blocks, the half square triangle strips, and the border--including the four cornerstones. After piecing the quilt, the top only is sandwiched with 16 oz. high loft batting and quilted using wash away thread in the top and regular thread in the bobbin. Washaway thread is white, but you will never see it when the quilt is completed. Got it? Another thing, don't get it wet or it dissolves like right now.
Then with scissors, you cut away all the batting you don't want puffing up your design. You have to get real close to the stitching without cutting the threads.
Finally sandwich the top with regular batting and the backing. Now you free motion again on top of what you've already stitched. I chose to use red, green and brown threads where appropriate. At this point you can fill around the areas that are not puffed up--or not. I was ready to bind.
The final step is to launder to wash away the first threads. It's like magic. I know I'll regret not stippling the white area. But, then, it will only come out for fall.
Here's a small quilt from my blog in February. It's small panel and perhaps you can see the "fill" stitching.
Your quilt is just stunning!!
ReplyDeleteI love your oak leaf fall quilt and I'm going to have to get some of that 16 oz batting to trapunto my next personal project. You must be so proud! What an an inspiring project. Nicely done!
ReplyDeleteA wonderful quilt will segue easily into the Christmas season. Stunning eye candy.
ReplyDeleteOooh now that is just beautiful!! Very fall and fun!!
ReplyDeleteLove your quilt, trapunto is on my list of things to try one day!
ReplyDeleteWonderful quilting! I have seen the oak leaf panel before and liked it then, but you have taken panel quilts to a new level. Thanks for explaining how you do this. I am going to have to put this on "the list" ... :) Pat
ReplyDeleteYour quilt is just stunning! Love it!
ReplyDeleteWow! Absolutely gorgeous - love the colors, the quilting, everything about it! blessings, marlene
ReplyDeleteI'm reading everything back...and boy you are talented! You seem to have the same "style" that I have..that being not everything is done with a block! Thanks for the inspiration! I Blogrolled you!
ReplyDeleteCheri
www.fabricandmemories.blogspot.com
Wow. What a lovely quilt.
ReplyDeleteNo matter how you were supposed to make this quilt, what you did is superb! I love it! :-)
ReplyDeletePinned