How fortunate for each and everyone of us to have come upon Sew We Quilt and Madame Samm for putting together so many great hops. And thanks to Mary at I Piece 2 Mary for leading us in this hop.
When I was accepted into this hop, for some reason I kept thinking the theme was blackbirds. My mind was racing and I came up with a few ideas. However, later I realized the theme was any bird, but my projects were already in motion.
First I made a blackbird using Joan Shay's Petal Play method. I used the Cardinal pattern I had made in one of her workshops about six years ago and altered it a bit to resemble a blackbird. For quilting the background I just followed the wavy lines in the fabric to do the cross hatching. Her patterns include birds, flowers and more plus she has books as well. Find her site HERE. In the last picture better shows the individual feathers. The leaves are dimensional too.
And lastly a potholder. They aren't blackbirds but they are black birds.
There are many other birds to check out. Here's today's list of stitching creators and there are only a few more days left.
When I was accepted into this hop, for some reason I kept thinking the theme was blackbirds. My mind was racing and I came up with a few ideas. However, later I realized the theme was any bird, but my projects were already in motion.
First I made a blackbird using Joan Shay's Petal Play method. I used the Cardinal pattern I had made in one of her workshops about six years ago and altered it a bit to resemble a blackbird. For quilting the background I just followed the wavy lines in the fabric to do the cross hatching. Her patterns include birds, flowers and more plus she has books as well. Find her site HERE. In the last picture better shows the individual feathers. The leaves are dimensional too.
Then there is this fun side of me that often pops up in my creations. How about four and twenty blackbirds baked in a pie from the old nursery rhyme? A quick bit of back stitch embroidery for the wording and a funky chicken blackbird for the top of the pie. I used silver potholder insulating for the pie pan and learned you can not press it.
There are many other birds to check out. Here's today's list of stitching creators and there are only a few more days left.






Love how you did the feathers!!
ReplyDeleteLove the feathers on your blackbird.....that's a lot of work.
ReplyDeleteThe 4 and 20 blackbird pie is so cute.
They are all so cute! I love the blackbirds baked in the pie. The work on your other bird is just perfect. Great work!
ReplyDeleteAll of your black birds are adorable! Thank you for sharing.
ReplyDeleteGreat job and I love the colors !
ReplyDeleteNice!
ReplyDeleteI love blackbirds and yours are so cute! I love the 3dimensional touch and the potholders are absolutely sweet.
ReplyDeleteWow - I liked all three of your projects! I have never seen textured feathers like you did in the blackbird, but I have to admit, your great fabric choices make the potholder my favorite!
ReplyDeleteLove the birds. Lovey projects
ReplyDeleteSo cute, I love the pot holder, thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteSo cute - I enjoyed my visit ;)
ReplyDeleteLove the way you did the feathers on your bird - must try that!
ReplyDeleteukcitycrafter@live.co.uk
Your black bird is so cute. I love it. Thanks for sharing your creativity and being part of this hop
ReplyDeleteThe feathers are fantastic, I must check out that site. I love your blackbirds in a pie too!
ReplyDeleteGreat projects. The feathers look amazing. And the bird in the pie? He looks like he's shrugging his shoulders as if to say "I don't know how I got in here". Wonderful job!
ReplyDeleteI love the dimensional feathers, great technique! I think my favorite piece is the blackbird in the pie, so much fun!
ReplyDeleteWonderful projects. The dimensional feathers are great.
ReplyDeletethat is stunning work! I've watched Joan's method, but never tried it.
ReplyDeleteREally great projects. I love the pie bird and the pot holder the best! THanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteLovin the pie!
ReplyDeleteall of these creations are just great - thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteYour creation are all great! That blackbird with the 3-D wings is wonderful. I like the potholder with the cute chickens.
ReplyDeleteSo adorable and creative!
ReplyDeleteLove the Joan Shay bird. Your pie bird is adorable. Great job. Thank you so much for being part of the hop.
ReplyDelete:) Your pie birds is my favorite!!! :D
ReplyDeleteVery creative!
ReplyDeleteYour blackbirds are fabulous. I love the feathers in your first project. Thanks for sharing with us, there is so much creativity in each project.
ReplyDeleteHow Cool!! I love the 3D effect of the feather on your 1st blackbird. I've not seen that before. The chickens are adorable. Thanks for the tip on the silver lining and for sharing your birdies with us.
ReplyDeleteSincerely,
Tricia
I love the black bird. Who very cool.
ReplyDeleteVery nice. Love the texturing on the blackbird. Lovely effect. I also love your blackbird sitting on the pie. He is too cute!
ReplyDeleteThose 3D feathers on your little black bird are fabulous!! And I so love your pie birdie! Too cute.
ReplyDeleteOh my goodness, I love all three projects! The black chickens on the potholder are too cute. :O)
ReplyDeleteloveeeeeee the 3 D composition ....great pieces...you in well you will see wink
ReplyDeleteOh, I think the comment above bodes well for top 2 or most creative, LOL. And it would deserve it as well! Well done on the 3-D feathers. I love the 4-20 blackbirds and the black bird pot holders too.
ReplyDeleteYour black birds are all darling!! I love the feathers in dimension. Great idea.
ReplyDeleteLove your blackbird the feathers are very creative. All your projects are wonderful
ReplyDeleteYour blackbird is ruffling my feathers, he's fabulous!
ReplyDeleteWow! All your projects are terrific. Love the 3D feathers, the cute blackbird on the pie, but just LOVE the cute chickens.
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing.
Your blackbird is terrific! I love your mix of embroidery and quilting in the other projects on your site, it's a technique I'm fond of too.
ReplyDeleteGreat projects!
ReplyDeleteI love your blackbird - I hope you're not going to bake him in a pie!!!!
Thanks for sharing!
Awesome bird projects! Congratulations for being one of the top 3 for the day.
ReplyDeleteWhat great projects! I love the feathers on your blackbird! Wonderful!
ReplyDeleteLove your blackbird baked in the pie :)
ReplyDeleteWow! What an adorable dimensional bird. Thanks for giving a link to the site. I'll have to check that out. That bird is absolutely phenomenal! The pie tin is a great idea. Sorry that you couldn't press it. Isn't it irritating when a great idea runs amok? We certainly cannot tell that you couldn't press it. Could you put a tea towel over it and give it a press? Just a thought? Maybe that would make it worse - it might press things into it you really don't want, too! You are very, very creative. Congrats on making top 3! Madam is always spot on with her selections. Thanks, thanks, thanks for participating in the hop. I hope to see you very, very soon in more hops with more great inspiration and creativity. Way to go!
ReplyDeletelove the black bird projects nice touch on dimensional one
ReplyDeleteI love all your blackbirds. The petal play technique has fabulous results. Congrats on a top spot!
ReplyDeleteAll cute projects but i especially love the blackbird in the pie and what a cute holder for it too.
ReplyDeleteLovely! Thanks for being on the hop!
ReplyDeleteOMG! ADORABLE - I really need all three of those projects!! Too cute!
ReplyDeleteI love love love your mini hanging...
ReplyDeleteI love it, I love it, I love it! Great projects, soo cute, thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteLove those feathers!
ReplyDeleteGreat job on all the projects!
Love your handy work on the black birds wings. Very Very Nice
ReplyDeleteLove the black birds. Makes me think of the Beatles lyrics:
ReplyDeleteBlackbird singing in the dead of night
Take these broken wings and learn to fly
All your life
You were only waiting for this moment to arise
Your blackbirds found their moment!
Hi!!!! Wow!!! Love your blackbirds!!! Those feathers are wonderful!!!
ReplyDeleteWhat fun! I'm glad you thought it was blackbirds...cuz you made some really cute ones!
ReplyDeleteWow! I'm really blown away by your birds! You are very creative.
ReplyDeleteWell done.
cheers
maggie
Very fun stop on the hop. I've never seen that technique done as you did the feathers. super look.
ReplyDeleteThree really cute projects!! I love the 3D effect - excellent. The potholders are wonderful in their bright colors.
ReplyDeleteI love all of your great projects--especially the dimensional one. Beautiful work!
ReplyDeleteLove your birds!
ReplyDeleteLove all your projects! Those small black birds so cute!
ReplyDeleteAmazing. You have done a wonderful job with all of them. :)
ReplyDeleteWonderful birds! That feathered technique looks interesting.
ReplyDeleteYour projects are fantastic! I love the 3D effect!
ReplyDeleteAdorable projects and so very creative too, nicely done. I particularly love that 4 and twenty blackbird creation. :-)
ReplyDeleteThanks too for leaving such a kind remark on my project, it's appreciated. Jane
Visiting from Tues Archives; love the feathers! It must have been quite a fun blog hop. Claire aka knitnkwilt
ReplyDeleteLove the feathers! Must follow you. L
ReplyDelete