We all have our own sewing tricks and habits. One of my favorites is leaders and enders. I used to sew using a "spider" and still grab one if nothing else is available. However, leaders and enders can make you more productive.
For those of you who know this system, just skim over the top and add any of your suggestions in the comment. But for quilters out there who have know idea what I'm talking about, follow with your open mind.
First off, if you arefrugal cheap like me, you hate parting with any useable piece of fabric. Usually I save every scrap with the possibility of using it in applique. Then I got a bit more organized. If the scrap is big enough to cut a 2 1/2' square I cut it and save. Toss anything smaller.
I keep all of my squares in one of those jewelry hangers from Michaels. Right now it's a bit disorganized, but I can find what I need.

Here is the trick: to start your stitching place two squares right sides together. Carefully start stitching hanging on to your threads. Think of this as the parade marshal and it is leading, hence leaders, your next stitching project.


Once you get to the end, place the squares you set out to piece, chain style. Easy. See? Now you are ready for your next set of blocks. Then at the end you put another two squares together who become enders. Cut the thread above leaving the ender in place and you'll be ready to go for the next batch of stitching.

These leaders and enders will not only save you from those pesky birds nests on the back side, but will save you thread. Best yet, now you have two sets of squares sewn together. When you accumulate a basket full, you have the beginnings of a new scrap quilt. I just grab from the basket for two sets squares, but you could do some planning and, perhaps, one dark and one light together.

Any tips to add are appreciated. Sorry for the bad pictures--I'll do better next time. Promise!
Marcy
For those of you who know this system, just skim over the top and add any of your suggestions in the comment. But for quilters out there who have know idea what I'm talking about, follow with your open mind.
First off, if you are
I keep all of my squares in one of those jewelry hangers from Michaels. Right now it's a bit disorganized, but I can find what I need.
Here is the trick: to start your stitching place two squares right sides together. Carefully start stitching hanging on to your threads. Think of this as the parade marshal and it is leading, hence leaders, your next stitching project.
Once you get to the end, place the squares you set out to piece, chain style. Easy. See? Now you are ready for your next set of blocks. Then at the end you put another two squares together who become enders. Cut the thread above leaving the ender in place and you'll be ready to go for the next batch of stitching.
These leaders and enders will not only save you from those pesky birds nests on the back side, but will save you thread. Best yet, now you have two sets of squares sewn together. When you accumulate a basket full, you have the beginnings of a new scrap quilt. I just grab from the basket for two sets squares, but you could do some planning and, perhaps, one dark and one light together.
Any tips to add are appreciated. Sorry for the bad pictures--I'll do better next time. Promise!
Marcy

I love leaders and enders. What a great organizer for your squares! Thanks for sharing, Marcy ... :) Pat
ReplyDeleteI love this system too, but I've never seen such a perfect organiser for little squares before. Thanks for the tip, no I'll have to go searching.
ReplyDelete