Raw edge applique--fusible applique--or whatever you call it, is my favorite method. Such instant gratification. My sewing machine does a nice job on buttonhole stitch. Quilt Doodles Designs is doing another BOM and I was hooked. Her designs have such whimsy and cuteness, plus she has a great eye for color. A few years ago I swore I'd never get involved in another BOM. Right!
In January there were two Christmas blocks. I used insulbrite for the garland and machine stitched using metallic thread. The lines near the star are embroidered with gold metallic embroidery thread. Just a backstitch for the ribbons on the packages. The picture really doesn't show how neat it looks. I prefer doing the buttonhole stitch in the same color as the fabric--other than when it is white.

For Mr. Snowman I thought a texture might be good since the background is white. How about flannel? It worked. A few French knots and some metallic silver embroidery thread for the snow. I might have to add something there to make it stand out more.
For February there is only one block and it's a teapot. Digging in my stash I found this Mary Engelbreit fabric and decided against the colors the designer used. I'm still working on it and will take a better picture when done.

I'm hoping to stay with red in each block and am now anxious for March.

Time to grab a cuppa and check on some of my blog friends.
Marcy
In January there were two Christmas blocks. I used insulbrite for the garland and machine stitched using metallic thread. The lines near the star are embroidered with gold metallic embroidery thread. Just a backstitch for the ribbons on the packages. The picture really doesn't show how neat it looks. I prefer doing the buttonhole stitch in the same color as the fabric--other than when it is white.
For Mr. Snowman I thought a texture might be good since the background is white. How about flannel? It worked. A few French knots and some metallic silver embroidery thread for the snow. I might have to add something there to make it stand out more.
For February there is only one block and it's a teapot. Digging in my stash I found this Mary Engelbreit fabric and decided against the colors the designer used. I'm still working on it and will take a better picture when done.
I'm hoping to stay with red in each block and am now anxious for March.
Time to grab a cuppa and check on some of my blog friends.
Marcy
What wonderful blocks! I don't try to do BOMs any more - I have at least two, maybe three, that I'm in the middle of and should have finished two years ago. :) But I really, really like these blocks! blessings, marlene
ReplyDeletethese are the cutest blocks! I especially like that tree with the garland on it! hugs, Julierose
ReplyDeleteRaw edge fusible applique is my favourite, too! The instant gratification is heart-warming! As are your blocks - so, so cute!
ReplyDeleteYour applique blocks are so adorable and so well made. They will be quite lovely once all sewn into a quilt. The extra thought of using metallic threads and Insulbrite to add shimmer, shine and glitter to the Christmas tree really enhances as well as flannel for the sweet and happy snowman. The Tea Pot fabric and design has a flavor of Mary Engelbreit's artistry which makes me smile.
ReplyDeleteYour snowman is so cute! Is the stitching around the scarf still buttonhole stitch or a kind of blanket stitch? You're very precise. Lovely!
ReplyDelete