Monday, November 17, 2014

Organized Sewing Machine Needles

 
A week ago on Quilting Arts, a guest showed how she organizes her machine needles. Perfect! I ran to my computer and designed an eight section sheet and labeled it with the needles I use most often on  my machine. If you are like me, we travel from one project to another with a need to change needles.
  
 
 
In MS Word I made a table--columns and rows. The lady on Quilting Arts had about this same chart, but hers was hand written. At the top of each column there's a number describing the needle size I use most often. You can customize this for your self. Perhaps machine embroiderers use a different type or size. It's printed on 8.5" x 11" fabric.
 
Then from Schmetz needle chart I cut out felt the color corresponding to the needle. I secured the swatches on the sewing machine--just across the top. See top photo.
 
Next I sandwiched with batting and backing then stitched in half going each way. The reason for the stitching is to make it easier to fold in half. See photos below.
 




Marcy
 

3 comments:

  1. Great idea! I like to watch Quilting Arts when it's on here. They rotate Quilting Arts with Love of Quilting on PBS here, so I haven't seen any of the newest QA yet. I think they will go back to QA after they do their holiday fundraising.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really a great idea, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a great idea. I've pinned it for the future when I start sewing clothing again and have to switch needle types more often - thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.