Aren't these sweet? A friend made them and they are all hand quilted. The are backed in muslin, mind you not the same muslin.But they are perfectly hand quilted. There is something to be said for the beauty of any handwork, but quilting is a simple yet necessary part of keeping the sandwiched layers together.
When I first met her she told me she was a quilter. At that time I didn't appreciate what she was saying or cared what it involved.
As you evolve in this thing called quilting, you begin to see and understand what and why things happen and enjoy the full art of quilting.
My friend quilted them on a frame and I know she spent hours on each design. Me? I like to hand quilt but can't use a frame and somehow it works out. However, I must say, I prefer the speed of machine quilting
When I was at a quilt show last week, there were the usual beautiful quilts. But I noticed less and less hand quilting. This show was put on by a guild of mostly senior women. Perhaps with age, fewer and fewer are able to quilt. Lord, please don't let that happen to me.
Maybe you don't want to be bothered with hand quilting. However, at least learn how do do it. The art is vanishing. Hand quilting always brings to mind years ago when the church ladies sat around a frame and stitching in the afternoon. My what a great time they must have had. No cell phone on their hip or even nearby.
The frame and quilt brought them together. They enjoyed the conversation in real words not words missing vowels they had to read from their phone. They shared their talent, tips and tasty tales. They were tied together by thread. Do you hand quilt or at least know how to pull it off?
That's my thought for the day and typed with one eye.
Marcy
When I first met her she told me she was a quilter. At that time I didn't appreciate what she was saying or cared what it involved.
As you evolve in this thing called quilting, you begin to see and understand what and why things happen and enjoy the full art of quilting.
My friend quilted them on a frame and I know she spent hours on each design. Me? I like to hand quilt but can't use a frame and somehow it works out. However, I must say, I prefer the speed of machine quilting
When I was at a quilt show last week, there were the usual beautiful quilts. But I noticed less and less hand quilting. This show was put on by a guild of mostly senior women. Perhaps with age, fewer and fewer are able to quilt. Lord, please don't let that happen to me.
Maybe you don't want to be bothered with hand quilting. However, at least learn how do do it. The art is vanishing. Hand quilting always brings to mind years ago when the church ladies sat around a frame and stitching in the afternoon. My what a great time they must have had. No cell phone on their hip or even nearby.
The frame and quilt brought them together. They enjoyed the conversation in real words not words missing vowels they had to read from their phone. They shared their talent, tips and tasty tales. They were tied together by thread. Do you hand quilt or at least know how to pull it off?
That's my thought for the day and typed with one eye.
Marcy
Hand quilting is becoming a lost art, but it will make a comeback soon. The stitches won't be as delicate and even as my grandmothers but it will be all done by hand. I stopped when my hands hurt too much to do the delicate stitches of 18-22 an inch my grandmother taught me, but have started again using primitive stitches of about 6-8 an inch.
ReplyDeleteYes, they're very sweet. And beautifully hand quilted.
ReplyDeleteHand quilting is certainly something I like to do. This is a craft, I find, where the action of doing it is more important than the actual result. Yes, it has a purpose, but doing it is what makes you feel good.
I liked reading your words on being tied together by thread. :-)