I made one design board from Lori Holt's (Bee in My Bonnet) pattern/tutorial from last year that I saved and will probably make more. These would make nice gifts for quilting buddies. Her tutorial is simple to follow with lots of pictures. Great use for those scrap battings and also leftover bindings for the edge. Plus it is nearly a no sew project. It's made basically with a glue gun. It reminds me of a updated quilters version of the old felt boards used in school.
This one is 10" x 20" and was one half of the board I purchased. I want to make some that are bigger and smaller. I ran out of glue sticks so I used Elmer's instead and just used the famous and great small red clips to hold in place.
Now I'll tell you secret. Once I got then "binding" strip attached on the side edge, I used the clips all around the "binding" and did the gluing for the final edges the next day. The fabric was nicely fold and ready for glue. I do that with quilts too--clip it before bed and the next time I am ready to stitch, the fabric is nearly in place.
If you don't need the gratification of having made it yourself, you can buy them at Fat Quarter Shop.
This is one of the philanthropy quilts. I saw the "how-to" online for the dimensional pinwheels. After playing with them for a while I realized I had done this before. Heck, it never hurts to learn things over again.
This is another quilt for philanthropy. It's easy-peasy with 6 1/2 inch blocks of a large scale print and some leftover strips of matching fabric.
Now that's about it around here. With the extra hour of sleep you'd think I'd come up with more.
Marcy
This one is 10" x 20" and was one half of the board I purchased. I want to make some that are bigger and smaller. I ran out of glue sticks so I used Elmer's instead and just used the famous and great small red clips to hold in place.
Now I'll tell you secret. Once I got then "binding" strip attached on the side edge, I used the clips all around the "binding" and did the gluing for the final edges the next day. The fabric was nicely fold and ready for glue. I do that with quilts too--clip it before bed and the next time I am ready to stitch, the fabric is nearly in place.
If you don't need the gratification of having made it yourself, you can buy them at Fat Quarter Shop.
This is one of the philanthropy quilts. I saw the "how-to" online for the dimensional pinwheels. After playing with them for a while I realized I had done this before. Heck, it never hurts to learn things over again.
This is another quilt for philanthropy. It's easy-peasy with 6 1/2 inch blocks of a large scale print and some leftover strips of matching fabric.
Now that's about it around here. With the extra hour of sleep you'd think I'd come up with more.
Marcy
great post
ReplyDeleteLeeAnna at not afraid of color
Lovely quilts! I love all the colors.
ReplyDelete