Sometimes when I pick up fabric to make these philanthropy quilts I find someone's UFO. This bag literally had my name on it in big letters. The lady in charge of our group was once a quilting teacher and she taught me how to paper piece. At a silent auction, she bought one of my small quilts not knowing it was mine. Needless to say I was honored. Over the years we have shared conversation about paper pieced projects, so can understand her challenge delight in passing this project off on me.
Don't you love those bright colors and the way the mottled black makes them pop? To me black is never right on a kids quilt but this works--and this is what I had to work with. One block was nearly finish and two others started. I had to switch fabric around to get enough for nine blocks. No pattern came with the package and there is enough left to make a potholder.

The flying geese were that far along and that's about where I called it quit. (Or quilt)

There was another strange thing about this quilt. The foundations were all printed on fabric. My choice is paper so I copied the rest. While working with the fabric foundation I found it not to be true. It isn't as stiff and stable as paper.
Since I spent nearly a week on this quilt, I decided to just do some straight line quilting and call it a day. You will notice, we "pillowcase" our children's quilts. Quite a time saver for sure.
Marcy
Don't you love those bright colors and the way the mottled black makes them pop? To me black is never right on a kids quilt but this works--and this is what I had to work with. One block was nearly finish and two others started. I had to switch fabric around to get enough for nine blocks. No pattern came with the package and there is enough left to make a potholder.
The flying geese were that far along and that's about where I called it quit. (Or quilt)
There was another strange thing about this quilt. The foundations were all printed on fabric. My choice is paper so I copied the rest. While working with the fabric foundation I found it not to be true. It isn't as stiff and stable as paper.
Marcy
This is beautiful and so cheery looking! I love the addition of just a few flying geese in the border!
ReplyDeleteBright and happy quilt, Marcy! ... I was computerless for awhile and have been playing catch up on my favorite quilty blogs ... :) Pat
ReplyDelete