Monday, August 4, 2014

Scrappy Trip Around the World


My 1930's reproduction fabrics have runneth over and it is time to use up the scraps. What a perfect quilt to do it with: Bonnie Hunter's Scrappy Trip Around the World. What a fun project his was to make but it hardly put a dent in the fabric containers. The directions are free on her blog (CLICK HERE) and she does a nice tutorial. It's a strip piece method and her directions are always great. There are some finished quilts there to look at for inspiration.


Perhaps it can be used as a table cover for that charm effect.







This old mop doll was created about 20 years ago and then somehow was hidden in the back of a closet. She looks great with the quilt, don't you think? Maybe I'll put the quilt and the doll in the guest room with my other 1930s quilts. They always look good in a group.








I had just enough of the solid green to make single-fold binding. Since it's a small quilt, it'll probably not get so much abuse.


Minimum straight line quilting was all it really needed. Sometimes over quilting a quilt with small and busy fabrics steals the look of the fabric.


I only made 16 blocks and decided to put it together. Good golly Miss Molly--I don't need another big quilt.



FYI, those are not my big feet.

Marcy

7 comments:

  1. Marcy, what an adorable quilt. I absolutely love 30's reproductions. I have a collection of them and I am trying to cut into them. Beautiful. I really want to try that pattern of Bonnie Hunters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's great. I've just joined a scrappy round the world bee so I can make one of my own xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Trip Around the World quilts, and yours is just delightful! So pretty...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely quilt and great photography. I like the one with it on the round table.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love, love, Love this one! From the 30's prints (so soft) to that "30's Green" for the binding! I have a couple WIP Scrappy Trip blocks using Bonnie's but after seeing yours, I'm definitely putting it on the "Must Do" list to start another set with my 30's stash when I work with those fabrics. Thanks for sharing this at Val's Archives!

    ReplyDelete
  6. such a pretty quilt. it looks so pretty on the table.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.