Pat from Life in the Scrapatch asked for a tutorial on the two colored fabric
prairie points from today's post showing my hugs and kisses table runner post here.. Being a visual person, I need pictures more than words. I'll try to make up for the poor photos with a brief description. So here goes.
Cut two strips, one ½ inch wider than the other. The wider fabric will be the one that shows
up as a tiny triangle point on the back and it’ll have the two accent strips on
the front. For this purpose I used a 4 inch light fabric and 4 ½ inch
contrasting fabric—the turquoise.
Then fold over again and match raw edges together and press
the fold.
For the prairie point I am making here for the tutorial, it
will measure 8” across the raw bottom.
Fold on side at a 45 degree angle and press. This will be at the 4” mark from the edge.
Then repeat with the other side.
Place your ruler a at the halfway mark and cut the bottom.
See how the 4" mark is the center?
Here's the back side with the tiny triangle point.
Another option is to cut your strip into the exact measurement and then fold and press. For instance, I could have cut 8" pieces then fold and press. Whatever works for you.
Here's a picture of my Valentine's Day runner using this method. Check my previous post for more pictures or click the link below.
Marcy ... thank you for taking the time to post this great pictorial on how you made the prairie points with the stripes. I really like this effect and am looking forward to adding this detail to a quilt in the future. Thanks for sharing ... :) Pat
ReplyDeleteGreat tutorial and what a neat technique! Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteFreemotion by the River Linky Party Tuesday
Thanks for sharing, that looks great!
ReplyDeleteBente
Well, Marcy, you certainly fooled me! Now I'm seeing how easy it is. And clever. I pinned your tutorial because I will certainly come back here. Your two-colored prairie points are such a nice detail. Thank you!
ReplyDeleteVery sharp looking - and a fun way to add more detail to a quilt. Great tute Marcy!
ReplyDelete