Thursday, October 23, 2014

Spider Web Quilt Along




Is everyone all decorated for Halloween? If not there's still time. My friend, Pat, over at Life in the Scrapatch is hosting a Spider Web Quilt Along with the neatest ever spiderweb table topper. She's got a step-by-step tutorial with lots and lots of pictures. Pat created this pattern last year for a blog hop. Wouldn't you know I just had to do it.

Sometimes those "have tos" get forgotten about which pushed me into digging through scraps to find enough to make one. I am so glad I pushed myself. There was much selection of fall scraps, so the brights were added.

I'm new to Flickr and also to Sew Alongs. I didn't realize we all sew together and share as we go. Perhaps I would have had more fun and selected other colors as I watch everyone else add pictures to the group. Maybe I should have thought of it more as a workshop or retreat where we are all sitting at our machines--together--stitching up this delightful project. But I didn't.

I somehow figured out to post early stages of my project to Flickr. However, it was mentioned to me, those pictures are just on my Flickr page. Today was a big day. Those photos were put on the group's page.

Here are some pictures I took today with my husband's camera and then you run over to Pat's to get the instructions. You'll be as happy as me when you are done.

 

The black background is more of a mottled black. My thinking was it would not be as great a contrast to the colors and prints.


Can you see the quilting? It's variegated metallic thread. Some people have trouble with metallic thread, but I take a smidgen of cooking oil, rub it between two fingers and then caress the needle's eye. Don't oil the needle. Just let it grab whatever is between your fingers. Also, be sure to use a metallic needle.




 Have fun sewing and be ready for Halloween at the same time.

Marcy

8 comments:

  1. It is beautiful, Marcy! The colors are so bold and attractive. I have every intent to make one this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it, Marcy! It is so exciting to see one of my tutorials sewn by one of my online quilty friends. Thank you so much for participating. You know I love scrappy so I love all the bright colors. I think the mottled black is a great choice and adds texture to the background.

    Thanks for the tip about metallic quilting thread. I have used metallic thread before and had it fray a little and break at the needle. I will be sure to try this trick the next time I use metallic thread.

    Hope to have the next step up later today and I will be featuring your beautiful quilt if that is okay with you ... :) Pat

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an interesting shape! I'm not usually a big fan of such a mix of colors, but I love your quilt! I think that the black is what makes me love it--it brings everything together (and somewhat tone down all those colors ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the shape of it looking like a spiderweb. I've done the traditional Spiderweb blocks before, but this one looks more fun and I love how colorful it is.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your quilt, Marcy! It is so colorful and happy especially for Halloween.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Who knew a spide web could look so beautiful. It reminds me of a stained glass window. If you're looking for another place to share your projects, I would love to have you stop by Etcetorize and join our Make it Monday party. It's open now :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it Marcy! So fun and colorful! Looks like it was fun to make!! COngrats on your highlight at Connies.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats, Marcy! It is a joy seeing your spider web featured on Freemotion By the River ... :) Pat

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.